Friday, September 26, 2008

On Joining Facebook

Yeah, I know... I resisted for a long time. Even when Mark joined, I held out. I've got better things to do than waste even MORE time on the computer.

But then Jenn, one of our adopt-a-students from church, told me about an 80s party and sent me a link to the pictures. And I couldn't see them without joining Facebook, so I caved. I had to see that 80s party. After being in junior high and high school for a large part of that decade full of fashion mistakes, I was curious to see how people not even born in the 80s would interpret it. And they were right on, for the most part... big hair, ponytails off the the sides, legwarmers, and even sweatshirts with the necks cut out.

Anyway, since I'm now on Facebook I feel the need to report back to the non-Facebook world and say that it's been VERY wierd. A couple of days after I joined Mark mentioned offhand in an almost apologetic maner about having sent me a "relationship request" on Facebook and that I had to OK it. I was curious so I logged on and sure enough, there was a relationship request from Mark. Apparently in addition to being "friends" with someone, you can state how you know each other or even be in a "relationship"! I clicked to accept the married setting and got the oddest message, "You are now in a relationship with Mark Dewing". Now?!?! What the heck?!?! We've been married for 4 years and have a child together for crying out loud!

And that's not the end of the wierdness. Once you start becoming "friends" with people and writing on their walls, people know you are on Facebook (FB) and the friend requests start rolling in. I'm now FB friends with two of the pastors at my church. And all sorts of old high school and college friends. The crazy part is getting friend requests from people and for the life of me I can't remember who they are! I've just been saying yes and then looking at their walls and pictures to try and figure it out. I became "friends" with someone I went to high school with and then got really stressed out about it! Basically I realized we couldn't have been more than aquaintances when we were in high school because she was one of the popular people and I was a social misfit (in high school, hopefully not now!) who hardly talked to people. All those feelings of being a huge nerd came flooding back when I thought about her looking at my profile. Mark informed me that I can "unfriend" someone, but of course then she'd know and how would that look? Anyway, this person wrote on my wall about how much she appreciated me tutoring her in chemistry (I'd completely forgotted about that!) and so the whole thing morphed into something good. And I'm so thankful I'm no longer the person I was in high school!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

it's funny that you mention this. my friend from des moines also wrote about facebook this week: quietmusingsfromhome.blogspot.com

SPD said...

It's interesting her mentioning about people trying to get as many "friends" as possible... definitely a strange sort of competition! I think it would be nice not to have too many so you could actually stay in better contact with those you DO know.

Speaking of strange, I looked up my name on Facebook and discovered that there are a bunch of other Sues with my last name in London, England! And that's just the ones who are on FB!

Anonymous said...

Beware the facebook!

Actually, I made an account and log on whenever I get a friend request. I think I'd spend more time on, but they block it at work (so I just use email instead).

If you remember who I am, you're welcome to become my friend.

Unknown said...

Sometimes I think we are still so totally connected - I held out joining facebook for a long time and caved, I think maybe even the same day as you!! Yes it is very strange. I have a couple "friend" requests that I've ignored because I'm not even sure I know who the people are!! It's a little weird... But I've found you can restrict access to your information so I've totally limited it to only people I've approved which makes me feel better. And yes, I got a relationship request from Craig - what is it with these boys being much more intune w/ facebook than we are?? We just spend our time on better things, right? :)