Sunday, July 13, 2008

Mathematicians, Physicists, Grocery Carts and Liars

I'll bet you're just wondering how these topics can possibly relate! I figure since I haven't blogged in such a long time I'd better come up with a catchy title.

As a mathematician married to a physicist I thought I'd share this comic that shows clearly which field is best!

As for grocery carts, Mark and I decided to run errands WITH Maria yesterday instead of having one person stay home with her supposedly freeing up the other to run errands more efficiently. Thanks to the prevalence of shopping carts at Lowe's, Sam's and Meijer, we all had an amazingly wonderful trip. Maria, who is very close to walking independently, still likes to hold onto a finger or a couch or, as it turns out, a shopping cart! When she discovered that she could push a huge, fully-loaded shopping cart and make it move all by herself, it was a moment of pure joy! She happily pushed the cart through Lowe's and then Sam's and finally Meijer, with a little steering help from mom and dad and lots of amused looks and smiles from fellow shoppers at seeing this 22 pound shortie throwing all of her weight into moving a gigantic cart! I have to say this was probably the funnest errand run I've even been on!

And finally, Mark sent me a link to this interesting article about children and lying. Fascinating stuff! Apparently learning to lie early (age 2) is a sign of intelligence because one needs to construct a plausible alternate reality. Researchers theorize that children learn to lie by watching their parents - ouch! Sometimes we even prompt them to lie such as: "Now tell Aunt Hilda how much you love the bar of soap she got you for your birthday." I think the thing that surprised me most was research showing that in families where there are more arguments between teens and parents, the teens actually respect their parents more! It's a case of attempting to change a parent's mind about a rule versus simply lying to them to avoid detection and punishment.

No comments: